Sunday, September 20, 2009

Transition

  So after my last A race of the season last Sunday (Nation's Triathlon - race report forthcoming), I'm now in that amorphous "Transition" period.  In theory this is when I'm supposed to rest from a taxing season, allowing my body extended recovery time and recharge before beginning base training. 

  What if my season wasn't that taxing?  Don't get me wrong, I trained hard, had some breakthrough performances and good results.  But because of life/work demands, I didn't really start training until March, and my race season didn't begin until May.  I understand the fear of burnout and overtraining, but I'm nowhere close.  And I have a good bit of fitness that I don't want to lose only to claw it back. So with a nod towards conventional training programs, I'm removing the high-end intensity and decreasing volume a bit, but will otherwise keep biking, running and swimming regularly.  2010 season begins with Base 1 on October 5, expect big things.

Weekend summary: Saturday - ~3 hours (60km) with the wife, along with some touch football thrown in for good measure.  All steady aerobic effort, high cadence (95+ rpm); Sunday: Long run.  8.5mi, 1:10.  40 mins aerobic (z2 - avg HR 151), 20 mins steady (z3 - avg HR 162). 

No comments:

Post a Comment